[DAS2] [DAS] [Fwd: Re: Writeback implementation]

Gregg Helt gregghelt at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 17:44:08 UTC 2008

Using the DAS/2.0 specification, this idea of "annotations of annotations"
is easy to do.  That's because every feature in DAS/2.0 has a unique URI and
is therefore addressable by _any_ other system that uses URIs -- including
another DAS/2.0 server:

<FEATURE uri="http://somewhere.else/feat123" ... >
     <PROP key="my_thoughts_on_feat123" value="overexpressed in tissue XYZ"
/>
</FEATURE>

Or if you prefer allowing your meta-annotation to have it's own URI:

<FEATURE uri="http//my.server/feat123" ... >
      <PROP key="my_thoughts" value="overexpressed in tissue XYZ" />
      <LINK href="http://somewhere.else/feat123" rev="meta-annotation" />
</FEATURE>

Used in this way DAS/2.0 becomes very RDF-like..

This is not just a happy accident but the result of a central tenet of DAS/2
-- addressability of all important DAS/2 entities outside the local system
via URIs.  The DAS/2 writeback spec is built on top of the DAS/2 retrieval
spec, so if you're fully implementing the writeback spec you should be able
to use this ability to do meta-annotations.

      Gregg

P.S. It's great to see development starting up again on DAS writeback!