[DAS2] [DAS] [Fwd: Re: Writeback implementation]

Asia Grzibovska asia at student.chalmers.se
Sun Nov 2 23:52:02 UTC 2008

Hello,
I have noticed a writeback thread in the mailing list and read it with a
big interest. I agree with most of the ideas expressed by participants.
The writeback specification was quite uncertain at the time when I was
implementing it, and the aim of my project was rather to prove the
concept.  In principle it was proved, and writeback could be implemented
in the real-life. However, the writeback specification needs to be more
concrete.

1)about response to a writeback command. The response was a simple
confirmation, it did not contain features, because writeback was not so
complex. It saved exactly as "here's what I want to do". If the changes
were successfully saved into the database, a simple confirmation was
enough. Otherwise nothing was saved and a full error description was sent
back.  The source code can be found here
http://code.google.com/p/daswriteback/source/browse/trunk/servlet/src/uk/ac/sanger/DatabaseUtilities.java

2)about URI. It is correct that "every feature in DAS/2.0 has a unique
URI". For simplicity I did not include it into the writeback document, but
it would be good to have it in the real implementation.

3)meta-annotations could simplify many things and add more functionality
>> <FEATURE uri="http//my.server/feat123" ... >
>>      <PROP key="my_thoughts" value="overexpressed in tissue XYZ" />
>>      <LINK href="http://somewhere.else/feat123" rev="meta-annotation" />
>> </FEATURE>

Best regards,
Asia