[DAS2] Adding an optional "searchable" attribute to <TYPE> element

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Mon Nov 6 15:18:59 UTC 2006

In the last DAS/2 teleconference I brought up again the idea of an
optional "searchable" or "filter" attribute for the <TYPE> elements
returned from a types query -- if present and "false", then that type
should not be used in a feature query filter.  Here are snippets about
this from discussion during the last code sprint (I've tried to strip it
down to just the relevant parts):

The motivation for this addition to the spec is to allow a server to
restrict what feature types a client can use for query _filtering_,
while still allowing these types of features to be returned from feature
queries and their display properties to be described in stylesheets.
This restriction is important for my server implementation to make full
use of ontologies in describing feature types.  And in the more general
case, I think it will be good for visualization clients.  To use a
concrete example, in a GUI I don't want to have to make the user choose
between requesting "genscan-transcript", "genscan-exon",
"genscan-intron", or some combination of these types to make sure they
get all the "genscan" annotation information -- this is a recipe for
confusion.  Now a smart client that fully understands the sequence
ontology could automatically simplify this for the user, but I don't
expect most client implementations to be so smart -- after all, one of
our goals is to have a low threshold for simple client and server
implementations.  In this example it would be much easier for the server
to just specify that "genscan-exon" and "genscan-intron" are not usable
in a query filter, and the client just shows "genscan-transcript" in the
query options.

This change in the spec is backward compatible, since <TYPE> elements
without a "searchable" attribute would by default be searchable.  It
should be easy for clients to implement, and servers can implement it or
ignore it.

	Gregg