[DAS2] Notes from the weekly DAS/2 teleconference, 19 Jun 2006

Ann Loraine aloraine at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 14:23:20 UTC 2006

Sorry I couldn't attend. My life has been crazy-busy lately with
teaching & trying to keep the research on track.

A question: Do you have any suggestions for a Web service approach for
microarray expression results?

We have a biggish (1700+ array hybs) database of expression data from
Affymetrix ATH1 arrays. For middleware & other reasons, we are
thinking of ways to provide simple CGI access to expression values in
the database.

The issues we are dealing with are:

1. delivering mappings of probe sets onto other ids (e.g., AGI gene
ids) using different authorities: TAIR, us, Affymetrix, University of
Michigan, and so on.

2. filtering out probe sets using various critiera, e.g., promiscuous
probe sets that match multiple genes, probe sets that "behave badly"
in all known experiments, and so on. Each filtering procedure can be
given a name.

3. providing expression values generated from 'cel' files using either
RMA or MAS5, w/ PMA calls on both

Currently we do something very simple for the latter, e.g.,

http://www.transvar.org/cgi-bin/atweb/get_expr.py?psx=262002_at&psy=250641_at

Values come back in tab-delimited format, not XML. The reason we are
not using XML is that we want to be able to read the data directly
into interactive statistical programming environments like R:

> url <- 'http://www.transvar.org/cgi-bin/atweb/get_expr.py?psx=262002_at&psy=250641_at'
> dat <- read.delim(url,sep='\t',header=T)
> model <- lm(dat[,3]~dat[,2])
> summary(model)
> plot(dat[,2],dat[,3])
> abline(model)
> cor(dat[,2],dat[,3])
> hist(dat[,2])
> qqnorm(dat[,2])

and so on...

R can probably handle XML somehow, but some people are confused by
XML. To start, I want to avoid pushing people too far beyond their
comfort zone.

If you have any tips, please let me know!

Right now we only have Arabidopsis data, but we are expanding to
include GEO data that meet our various quality-control criteria.
(You'd be shocked...maybe?...at how much bad data is in GEO!)

-Ann