[DAS2] Why use URIs for feature IDs?

Thomas Down td2 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Feb 8 23:20:34 UTC 2006

[I should prefix my comments here by saying that I don't actually
have a terribly strong opinion on this matter *except that* I'd
really like the spec to be explicit on how feature query language
works...  Does it go .../features?type=exon, .../features?type=types/
exon, or .../features?type=http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/types/
exon?].

Anyway, I'm still having a bit of trouble seeing why features need
individually GETable URIs.  The use case I remember from the
conference call was that it would be nice to be able to describe DAS/
2 features in RDF documents.  I guess that makes sense to me, but for
this purpose is there anything wrong with a URI like:

            http://das2.sanger.ac.uk/ensembl35/features#id12345

This seems compatible with Andrew's ID proposal.

My memory of RDF/DAML/OWL/etc is that most objects which get
described in such documents are actually fragment identifiers in
larger documents, rather than individually GETable entities.  Am I
missing something here?

                Thomas