[DAS2] Ontologies in DAS/2

Allen Day allenday at ucla.edu
Tue Feb 7 21:20:53 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Chris Mungall wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I'm concerned that the XML in the URL below isn't quite Obo-XML, it's
> Allen's modified version of it. In particular, the adding of an "id"
> attribute which is redundant with the id element, and the modification of
> the ID scheme to use slashes instead of :s.
>
> I believe the latter may have been to make the ID scheme more DAS-y?

The slash was introduced to take advantage of xml:base and the
hierarchical relationship between namespaces and terms, e.g.

  xml:base="/das/ontology/obo/1/ontology" + id="SO/0000001"

is equivalent to:

  /das/ontology/obo/1/ontology/SO/0000001

If we want the identifier to be SO:0000001, it means that we have to make
xml:base="/das/ontology/obo/1/ontology/SO.  This is problematic for two
reasons:

  1) multiple xml:base cannot be defined for the entire document, meaning
     that URIs for other records referenced become very long.

  2) different ontologies cannot use the same xml:base

The only way I see out of this ATM is to treat : as a / internal to the
Ontology-DAS service.

> OBO IDs are composed of a prefix and a local ID. These are always joined
> with a :. The prefix can be specified as shortform (eg GO) or a URI
> prefix. When the long form is combined with the local ID you get your URI.
>
> If DAS wants to use a modified version of Obo-XML, that's fine, but please
> don't call it Obo-XML, it will cause huge confusion!
>
> I would much prefer if you used Obo-XML as it is - if there are things
> you'd like to see changed about the format we can perhaps work that out.
> I'm concerned by the changing the ID to use / instead of :. This is wrong,
> and if it's something that's required for DAS, how will you interoperate
> with RDF etc?
>
> In fact there are other parts where the xml is definitely not Obo-XML - it
> looks like Allen has coded these by hand rather than taking existing XML.
> That's fine, but it should be marked as such. For example, there is no
> develops_from element in Obo-XML; all relations bar is_a are encoded as
> relationship elements.

The XML provided by the Ontology-DAS server is using templates to mark up
ontology records that have been loaded to a chado database using
perl-go-perl.  The develops_from node, IIRC, was created because there is
a section in a perl-go-perl .xslt that creates elements for all
relationship types.

> There is a DTD at the moment
> http://www.godatabase.org/dev/xml/dtd

This didn't exist at the time I wrote my templates ( 4-6 months ago), or I
would have validated.

-Allen