[DAS2] Re: Apollo and DAS/2 priorities

Ed Erwin ed_erwin at affymetrix.com
Tue Feb 7 20:46:01 UTC 2006

This is something we should discuss when we discuss the 'writeable'
parts of the spec.  But in my opinion, 'writeable' and 'lockable' are
two separate <CAPABILITY>'s.  I see no reason not to allow some
implementers to develop simple servers that are writeable but don't
implement a locking mechanism.  Large public servers may want locking,
but I'd bet that a non-locking server would very rarely lead to
problems, especially in small projects.

(If the server is non-locking, the client could add a little more logic
to check that nothing has changed since the last retrieval before doing
a commit.)