[DAS2] properties and queries

Lincoln Stein lstein at cshl.edu
Tue Feb 7 16:00:52 UTC 2006

Hi,

I use the phase information quite a lot and I know that others do as well. The
phase is {0,1,2} and the meaning is described here:

	For features of type "CDS", the phase indicates where the feature
	begins with reference to the reading frame.  The phase is one of the
	integers 0, 1, or 2, indicating the number of bases that should be
	removed from the beginning of this feature to reach the first base of
	the next codon. In other words, a phase of "0" indicates that the next
	codon begins at the first base of the region described by the current
	line, a phase of "1" indicates that the next codon begins at the
	second base of this region, and a phase of "2" indicates that the
	codon begins at the third base of this region. This is NOT to be
	confused with the frame, which is simply start modulo 3.

Lincoln