New DAS/2 server for codesprint [was Re: [DAS2] Re: Apollo and DAS/2 priorities]

Allen Day allenday at ucla.edu
Mon Feb 6 21:53:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Feb 2006, Nomi Harris wrote:

> thanks for setting up the new das/2 server, allen.  i'm having trouble
> with some of the queries.
>
> On 5 February 2006, Allen Day wrote:
>  > Okay folks, an implementation of the document cited below is available
>  > here:
>  >
>  > http://das.biopackages.net/codesprint
> I get "Internal Server Error"

That's to be expected.  The spec does not specify what the response to
this request should be, or if it is even valid -- so I didn't implement
it.

>  > http://das.biopackages.net/codesprint/sequence
>  > http://das.biopackages.net/codesprint/sequence/yeast/S228C/segment
> these both work.
>
>  > http://das.biopackages.net/codesprint/sequence/yeast
>  > http://das.biopackages.net/codesprint/sequence/yeast/S228C
> for these i get
> Error loading stylesheet: A network error occured loading an XSLT stylesheet:
> http://das.biopackages.net/xsl/das.xsl

This happens if you're browsing the URLs in a web browser that supports
xsl directives.  Previous versions of the server supported web browsers,
but at the cost of using a 'text/xml' Content-Type header.  Consensus in
the group was that web browsers are not a target platform, so this feature
no longer works -- so you won't be able to view the DAS2XML in your
browser anymore.  I just haven't removed the XSL references yet.

> i'm running firefox on mozilla, so i'm not surprised when it has problems
> with stylesheets, but i used to be able to get data from the old das/2
> server, even though it did have some complaint about not finding the
> stylesheet.
>
> http://das.biopackages.net/codesprint/sequence/human/17/feature

The server is coded to throw an error if you ask for all features, so I'm
surprised it didn't just give you a 4xx or 5xx response.  I'll look into
it.