[DAS2] feature locations

Erwin, Ed Ed_Erwin at affymetrix.com
Fri Aug 18 23:33:44 UTC 2006

I think all of us this morning, except you,  want

2) Yes, parent region must encompass all child regions
3) Yes, a single segment that encompasses all child regions
4) In your example:
  overlaps(30,40) returns the whole parent and child
  inside(30,40) returns neither the parent nor the child

The user (client) is responsible for asking for things that make sense.
For mRNA transcripts and exons, an overlaps query is sensible.

Here is my two cents about the "catalytic site" you talk about....

I agree that a "catalytic site" such as you describe requires some
thought.  But it requires thought from the curator on how to describe
it, not smartness of the DAS server itself.  If the catalytic site is
composed of parts of exons on a single mRNA, they should be maybe be put
into a parent-child relationship.  If different components of the
catalytic site are on different mRNAs that fold-up and combine into a
complex compound (like hemoglobin) then the parts that are on different
mRNAs probably should be treated as different features.  Or even more
simply, there could be a feature type "catalytic site component" that
can be a "part of" an exon.

Anyway, that is *my* opinion.  #2 Yes, #3 Yes, and #4 the annotator is
responsible for being smart.

I can at least see now why you think there might be a problem, but I
don't agree that it is a problem.