[DAS2] writeback spec

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Thu Apr 27 07:33:29 UTC 2006

I've written up a draft of the writeback spec.  It's in CVS.

   das/das2/das2_writeback.html
with the RNC in
   das/das2/writeback.rnc -- for the writeback document
   das/das2/mapping.rnc -- for the mapping from old URLs to new

On the question of how to handle new records, which need
new identifiers, I decided to go with the private identifier
scheme.  The client uses "das-private:0000" where the "0000"
is alphanumeric and 1 up to 20 characters long.  The server
responds with a mapping document which looks like

<MAPPING>
  <MAP from="das-private:0000"
to="http://blah.com/das2/whatever/feature/123" />
</MAPPING>

I decided on this instead of the "preallocate identifier"
scheme because this requires less state on the server
(it doesn't need to remember which identifiers were already
issued) and because it supports versioning servers better.

Is the web site being updated from CVS?  I see it hasn't gotten
the updates I made on Monday.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com