[DAS2] das2 validator name

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Wed May 4 20:07:11 UTC 2005

Hi all,

   I've been working on the DAS2 validator.  I'm trying to
come up with a better name than "DAS2Check".  The two
names I've come up with so far are "Dascyllus" (a name for
a type of damselfish) and "Dasypod" (the name for armadillos).

The advantages are:
  - they have "Das" in the name :)
  - it's easy to get a pretty pictures for either
  - the phylogenetic name gives a loose tie to genomics
  - my test set can pull from existing sequences
  - I can't find any other software with either name

  - for "dascyllus", a friend of mine does research
        in damselfish phylogenies

The disadvantages:
   - "dascyllus" sounds similar to "bacillus"
   - I had to ask that same friend how to pronounce "dasypod"
       ("da'-see-pod" and not "day-zy-pod")
   - a non-descriptive name requires one extra level of
      indirection. "DAS2Check" gives a clue as to what it does.

I also came across "dasturi" which seems great given both
the "DAS" and the "URI".  But it means a tip or a bribe or
skimming off the top.  Perhaps "DasUri"?  Hmm....

Since I'm having trouble, perhaps someone here has a better
idea or a comment on the above ideas?  Otherwise, I'm
leaning towards Dasypod.

					Andrew
					dalke at dalkescientific.com