[DAS2] how to test features?

Helt,Gregg Gregg_Helt at affymetrix.com
Fri Jun 10 16:41:11 UTC 2005

In DAS/1 the types response can optionally include a count of the number
of features available for that particular type and source.  I do think
this would be a useful feature to preserve in DAS/2.  From that
information a client/validator could potentially tune its requested
range to return on average a desired number of features.

I don't think a server should return only some of the features that meet
the search criteria -- should return either all or none.  If a server
decides that a client is requesting too much data, I think servers
should be able to return some sort of "returned feature count too large"
error code response.  And maybe in the source or versioned source
response xml have an optional indication of how many features a server
is willing to serve up in a single request, so clients can know this
limit in advance.

	gregg