[DAS2] transitioning from DAS/1 to DAS/2

Ed Erwin ed_erwin at affymetrix.com
Mon Dec 12 21:05:47 UTC 2005

Andrew Dalke wrote:

> That is, the SOURCES request returns information about genomic,
> protein sequence and structure databases.
>
> If this occurs then there will need to be a few changes to the spec.
> For example, 'taxon' is probably only properly part of the genomic
> sources and not in the others, so perhaps move the taxon information
> into a subelement of those SOURCE elements with 'source_type' == 'genome'.
>

>   <SOURCE id="volvox" description="Volvox Example Database"
>           source_type="genome">
>      <TAXON>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/taxon-browser?id=29118</TAXON>
>
>      <VERSION id="volvox/1" description="Build 1, October 2002">
>        <ASSEMBLY id="http://www.ensembl.org/das/genome/vv116" />
>      </VERSION>
>   </SOURCE>

This a bit off-topic, but I noticed that links to the taxonomy browser
need to be formatted like this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Taxonomy/Browser/wwwtax.cgi?id=3066

And note this disclaimer on that site:
"The NCBI taxonomy database is not an authoritative source for
nomenclature or classification"