[DAS] Question about das development.

Bill Gooding bgood97@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:42:34 -0700 (PDT)

--0-2142578151-1029786154=:41466

To everyone replying to my message,
Thanks for your help, this is the sort of discussion that I wanted to start.  On the specific comments:
I am perfectly willing to work with Chris on the development of this software.  The one thing I would like to insist on is that it be open source.  I am sure that this probably goes without saying in this group :-).  We really just need a place to put the project and people can download it if they like.  As I said, I have developed a system which is based on JSP/Sevlets/Java.  I think it is a good starting point.  I am sure you would be surprised if I didn't think that :-).
As for David Kulp's comments, I recognize that the system load may be a problem.  But this problem to me would seem to plague any such system.  That is, if you are looking at a whole chomosome down to the base pair level, you will have alot of data.  I think that this can be addressed by limiting the size of the queries in the server which shouldn't be too hard.  Also, the system I have developed, although it is JSP based, it will be very easy to create a standalone program for it so you don't have to go through a JSP server if you want to download and transform alot of data.  The standalone program will use the same codebase as the JSP server (which will also allow easy test scripts to be written for the code)  This should somewhat mitigate somewhat the load problem.
On your comments about SVG/client integration/Adobe plugins, I really don't want to deal with this issue in the software (if I can avoid it).  It seems like it may be problematic to support the plugin and all the browsers that may implement it slightly differently.  For now, I think that the user can live with reloading data he needs.  I understand this will increase server load.  But my vision for this project is not to necessarily create something that would support an extremely high load (at least not at the beginning).  I really intend this to be used within a relatively small group of users to simplify the access to data.  So in my system, I really want to emphasize customizability.  That is, if someone wants to display his data differently he should be able to plugin his XSLT files into the system very easily.  I think what I have satisfies that.  The advantage of open source would be that people could (hopefully) donate their own XSLT files to the project.  This allows for many different views or processing of the data thus giving the users of the software more flexibility.  At this point I would see the issue as a tradeoff between speed and flexibility.  Maybe in later development any speed problems could be solved or strongly mitigated.
As always, comments on this are welcome.
Thanks,

Bill Gooding

 "Kulp, David" wrote:From the whizbang angle, I've been thinking about a DAS-SVG viewer. The
"problem" is typical for genome browser displays: too many features
significantly slows down display, both in terms of data transmission and SVG
client rendering. I looked a little into how one might deal with dynamic
content and semantic zooming. It turns out that the Adobe viewer provides
two non-standard hooks which allow you to make URL calls and to parse the
returning document into a DOM. Thus, javascript callbacks could be attached
to zoom levels, hidden tracks, or objects, which caused the server to be
queried for additional SVG which was then attached to the existing DOM.
Sounds very cool!

But another problem is that SVG (at least with Adobe's viewer) has a
hard-limit of 8 levels of zoom, i.e. a 256X zoom, but unless you're fancy,
it's really just 4 levels of zoom in and 4 out. That's not enough to go
from nucleotide to chromosome.

-d