[DAS] Re: Bio::Das 0.59

Tony Cox avc@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 13:46:34 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Lincoln Stein wrote:

Hi Lincoln.

Your fix solved the empty segment argument problem (should DAS servers be
tolerant of such things and just issue a local warning?) and the proxy code
seems to work very nicely as well. Although I havn't done a proper test yet the
0.59 code does seem to be visibly faster than the DAS/1 code using the callback
methods. This is actually very convenient inside Ensembl becasue the callback
can create sequence features and stream them back to the drawing code for
rendering. I'll keep testing.

thanks!

Tony

+>Hi Tony,
+>
+>The attached interim version of the Bio::Das module adds support for
+>proxies and hopefully also fixes the empty segment problems you were
+>experiencing (I couldn't reproduce the bug, but I fixed a suspicious
+>spot in the source).
+>
+>It's still not documented (sigh), but to turn on the proxy feature,
+>just call the Das object's proxy() method after creating it, and
+>before making any requests.  E.g.:
+>
+>  my $das = Bio::Das->new(15);  # timeout of 15 sec
+>  $das->proxy('http://kato.lsjs.org:80/');
+>
+>
+>