[Bosc-announce] Reminder: BOSC 2013 abstracts due Friday, April 12

Nomi Harris nlharris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 00:26:22 UTC 2013

Please visit http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2013 for instructions on abstract preparation and a link to our online submission system. Abstracts are due by 11:59pm PST on April 12 (but I will not actually close submissions until I get up the next morning, so if you really like to leave things until the last minute, you'll have a few more hours to perfect your abstract).

Call for Abstracts for the 14th Annual Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC 2013)
A Special Interest Group (SIG) of ISMB/ECCB 2013

Dates: July 19-20, 2013
Location: Berlin, Germany
Web site: http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2013
Email: bosc at open-bio.org

Important Dates:
April 12, 2013: Deadline for submitting abstracts
May 8, 2013: Notification of accepted talk abstracts emailed to authors
July 17-18, 2013: Codefest 2013, Berlin (http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/Codefest_2013)
July 19-20, 2013: BOSC 2013, Berlin
July 19-23, 2013: ISMB/ECCB 2013, Berlin

The Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC) is sponsored by the Open Bioinformatics Foundation (O|B|F), a non-profit group dedicated to promoting the practice and philosophy of Open Source software development and Open Science within the biological research community. We welcome submissions relating to all aspects of open source bioinformatics software and open science. Two full days of talks, posters, panel discussions, and informal discussion groups will enable BOSC attendees to interact with other developers and share ideas and code, as well as learning about some of the latest developments in the field of open source bioinformatics.

We invite you to submit one-page abstracts for talks and posters.  This year's session topics are:
- Open Science and Reproducible Research
- Cloud and Parallel Computing
- Genome-scale Data Management
- Visualization
- Software Interoperability
- Translational Bioinformatics
- Bioinformatics Open Source Project Updates

We are also looking for a few more panelists for our panel on Strategies for funding and maintaining open source software (http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_Panel_2013).

Thanks in part to generous sponsorship from Eagle Genomics, we are pleased to announce a competition for three Student Travel Awards. Each student winner will receive $250 towards travel expenses PLUS free admission to BOSC. Several additional complementary registrations are available as well--please see http://www.open-bio.org/wiki/BOSC_2013#Complementary_Registration for more information.

BOSC 2013 Organizing Committee:
Nomi Harris (chair), Jan Aerts, Brad Chapman, Peter Cock, Chris Fields, Jeremy Goecks, Hans-Rudolf Hotz, Hilmar Lapp