[Bosc-announce] Bioinformatics Open Source Conference (BOSC'02) -- Update & Net access info

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 17:01:54 -0400

{Apologies if people get this twice. The first email did not appear to
get distributed }

**
This email is going out to all registered attendees of the 2002 BOSC
Meeting as well as those who had previously signed up to the
"bosc-announce" mailing list. Questions/comments/complaints should be
addressed to me directly at dag@sonsorol.org or to the BOSC organizing
committee at bosc@open-bio.org
**

The important information we want to update everyone on concerns network
and intenet access status at BOSC. In the past we have traditionally
built out own conference network and have failed spectacularly at
telling anyone in advance about it!

Here are the important bits:

o The ISMB internet access "cafe" will not be open during any of the
pre-ISMB SIG meetings. Our understanding is that it will open in time
for the 1st Tutorial day at ISMB. This means that people without laptops
are going to have to rely on the kindness of others until the formal
internet access room opens up.

o We (Open Bioinformatics Foundation) will be bringing at least 1 and
possibly 2 leased ADSL lines into the Westin Hotel for our joint
BOSC/BioPathways meetings.

o The DSL lines will be used primarily to create an 802.11b wireless
network although we will be bringing switches and hubs so that
non-wireless users can plug directly into the network.

o If you intend to plug your notebook directly into our switch please
remember to bring along a decent length of cable. We will have some
available but not nearly enough to wire up everyone.

o After BOSC/Biopathways is over we will attempt to either keep our ADSL
lines (depends on cost) or we will try to move our wireless access
points into the official ISMB internet room in order to keep the
wireless net live throughout the entire meeting. No promises as we have
yet to make formal arrangements to do this.

Our pre-meeting announcement is enclosed below. We look forward to seeing
everyone in Edmonton!

Regards,
Chris Dagdigian <dag@sonsorol.org>
BOSC Committee & Open Bio Foundation

##

BOSC is only a few weeks away.  The program schedule is ready and
viewable at

    http://www.open-bio.org/bosc2002/program.html

Speakers!  Please double-check your scheduled times and let us know
if there are any conflicts or other problems.

Remember, early reservations for housing ends within the next two days.
    http://www.ismb02.org/housing.htm

We are still accepting proposals and submissions for:
   * posters
   * BoFs - informal meetings of people interested in a common subject
   * lightning talks - quick (5 minutes) talk on anything relevant

Send email to bosc@open-bio.org with a title and brief abstract
if you are interested in one of these.

Internet access will be available during BOSC.  Like last year we will
have 802.11b wireless access (so remember to bring your card!) and a
wired access point.

We will not have enough cat.5 for everyone so please bring a cat.5 wire
with you if you want to plug in.
##