[BioSQL-l] GSoC Student Proposal

Rahul Krishnan pprahul at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 06:49:00 UTC 2010

Hi,

I am Rahul Krishnan, an undergrad student of Computer Science.
I was going through the different mentoring organizations when I noticed the
open bio project,
and the BioSQL project interested me specifically. And I am new to this
community :)

I have more than an year's experience building and maintaining websites
using various CMS including drupal, wp etc,
which includes programming in php, sql and other web based tools and
frameworks. I am also good at programming in various languages including c,
c++, asp, java and am passionate about learning new technologies head on.

Apart from that, I've been an open source contributor for over 2 years. This
includes developing a java application for Android OS (
http://code.google.com/p/tictactoe4android), contributions to Haiku OS (
http://dev.osdrawer.net/users/224) and open solaris. I am also well versed
with interacting with the community, using IRC, svn / git repos, and other
essential tools for developing applications.

I consider this as an opportunity to get introduced to a new community and
further my skills by contributing to open source development.

I read through the various possible enhancements listed at
http://biosql.org/wiki/Enhancement_Requests.
I would like to know if I should stick on to these (as I don't have deep
knowledge about the openSQL source code).

I would like to know if a combination of these enhancements would amount to
a good GSoC proposal that would add value to openBio project.

Cheers!
--
Rahul Krishnan
Amrita University '12