[BioSQL-l] migration to github

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Sat Jul 31 23:15:56 UTC 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 3:17 AM, Peter wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM, Hilmar Lapp <hlapp at drycafe.net> wrote:
>>
>> As mentioned previously, Chris Fields is currently heroically migrating the
>> BioSQL repository to Github.
>>

> Great.
>

>> Finally, does anyone have a strong feeling about the capitalization of
>> BioSQL on Github? All lowercase (github.com/biosql) or capitalized
>> (github.com/BioSQL)?
>
> Personally I'd pick lowercase - it seems more commonly used
> for repositories and usernames in general. In our case it also
> avoided Biopython vs BioPython confusion. Curiously most but
> not all of the BioPerl repositories are in lowercase...
>
> Peter

Okay, organization and repo name are both now 'biosql'.  No take-backs!

Re: upper case with bioperl repos, do you mean the Bio-* ones?  The emphasis there that (1) they aren't part of bioperl core but are still part of the Bio namespace, and (2) the dist will match the actual namespace and the module name (Bio::FeatureIO, for instance), unlike BioPerl and the others, and (3) there is some precedent (Bio::Graphics being one).  This simple thing makes it a lot easier for keeping track of names, and the module name can be used for CPAN installation, indexing, and documentation.

chris