[BioSQL-l] Treating GenBank source features as top level annotation

Richard Holland holland at eaglegenomics.com
Wed Nov 18 12:08:48 UTC 2009

BioJava's latest parsers do the following:

On read:

  SOURCE and ORGANISM top-level tags are completely ignored
  For each tag in each feature, including source:
    If it's a dbxref
       If it's taxon, set the taxon ID in the BioEntry table (if no /taxon is specified in the source feature the taxonomy does not get stored at all)
       Otherwise set dbxref as a feature CrossRef table entry
    If it's organism
       Add the organism name to the taxon ID in the Taxon table using the scientific taxon name type (if no /organism tag is specified in the source feature, the taxon gets the default name from NCBI, but only if the NCBI taxonomy data is already present in BioSQL) (if no /taxon is specified in the source feature, then the taxonomy does not get stored at all)
    Otherwise
       All other tags get mapped as feature qualifier values, including the source feature

On write:

   SOURCE and ORGANISM tags are generated from the BioEntry taxon ID entry for the sequence,
   All features get qualifier values output plus /db_xref tags for all entries from the CrossRef table for the feature,
   The source feature is output as per a normal feature, plus /organism and /db_xref="taxon:..." tags generated as per the SOURCE and ORGANISM tags

The main reason why we still use the source feature and don't go to sequence level is because when converting between formats it's hard to tell which sequence-level qualifier_values are from the source feature and which are from other places.

The main reason why we rely entirely on the source feature for organism and taxon ID info is because it's much easier to parse than the SOURCE and ORGANISM tags.

cheers,
Richard