[BioSQL-l] Location with lt, gt

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Oct 13 01:55:04 UTC 2008

Sorry for the delay in responding. Peter's suggestion of
location_qualifier_value is good but only half of the truth.

More specifically, location_qualifier_value can be used to store the
minimum and maximum start and end coordinates for the start and end
positions of a location. The model that BioPerl uses for fuzzy
locations is in Bio::Location::FuzzyLocationI. Basically, on top of
the canonical start and end, a fuzzy location has a min_start,
max_start, start_pos_type ('BEFORE', 'AFTER', 'EXACT','WITHIN',
'BETWEEN','UNCERTAIN') and similarly for the end position. How to
determine the canonical start and positions from these is left to a
CoordinatePolicy object, i.e., subject to different possible
interpretations (e.g., conservative, maximum range, etc).

In addition, locations have a type: 'EXACT', 'WITHIN', or 'IN-
BETWEEN'. This would be set using the term_id foreign key from the
location to the term table.

Does this make sense?

I have to admit that Bioperl-db doesn't implement round-tripping of
fuzzy locations yet, so there actually isn't a reference
implementation yet that you could look at (but Biojava sounded like it
roundtrips those?).

	-hilmar