[BioSQL-l] Python ORM mapping for BioSQL

Raoul Jean Pierre Bonnal raoul.bonnal at itb.cnr.it
Fri Nov 28 13:51:02 UTC 2008

Il venerdì 28 novembre 2008 12:55:22 Peter ha scritto:
> Nick Loman wrote:....
> My impression is that Django's philosophy is that they expect you to
> define your objects which then automatically defines the database
> schema.  Note the title of this FAQ page refers to an existing schema
> as a "legacy" database:
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/legacy-databases/
> If Django can cope with an existing schema, then it does look like an
> excellent package, and seems well documented.
You are right.This, philosophy, is the same of others ORM like ActiveRecord
and DataMapper. In Ruby I prefer DataMapper because is simpler and
configurable than AR. Usually they have particular conventions and
requirements. So choose the one which fits best with BioSQL schema without
modify the schema.
I wasted a lot of time digging into the API to understand how ORM handles
relationships.

Last, check if your ORM can handle transactions for free.

Ciao.

--
Ra