[BioSQL-l] installation.....IO/String problem

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 20:54:50 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 9:13 PM, mrphysh at juno.com <mrphysh at juno.com> wrote:

> I am having trouble with database retrieval from online databases.
> This is an install problem.(?)..I am running Linux (Ubuntu).........
> I did these, following the documentation.  from cpan>
> install Bundle::CPAN
>
> install Module::Build  #one of the many help files said to do this
> install Bundle;;BioPerl
> force install B/BI/BIRNEY/bioperl-1.4.tar.gz
> can't open file /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/auto/Bio/.packlist:  permission denied at /usr/share/perl/5.8/ExtUtils?Install.pm line 209
> writing /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8/auto/Bio/.packlist
> make:  ***  [pure_site_install  error13
>   /usr/bin/make_install   --- NOT OKAY
>        you may have to u to root to install the package

This is the BioSQL mailing list, not the BioPerl mailing list, so you
are asking the wrong people.

However, this looks like a simple permissions problem - havee you
tried to install this as the root user (e.g. use "sudo cpan" to start
cpan) or have you configured it to install under your home directory
where you should have write permissions?

Peter