[BioSQL-l] license

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gmx.net
Mon Oct 1 16:03:51 UTC 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 11:47 AM, David Scott wrote:

> so - to paraphrase - the current license can be changed without any
> author's permission because the current license allows proposed
> license changes are "compatible" - or are you saying that legally
> any license can changed if the proposed changes are "compatible".

It depends of course on what the license states that you obtained it
under. But you raise a good point: the original Perl Artistic License
is in fact very vague about this.

The Artistic License v2.0 states in 4(c)(ii) what the license needs
to satisfy if you choose not to redistribute under the original license.

http://www.opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-2.0.php

I guess that's one of the reasons the v1.0 Artistic is fraught with
problems.

It shouldn't be a problem though to obtain permission from the
copyright holders. Perl itself is switching to GPL or Artistic v2.0
for Perl 6.0, and in spirit the license is right now coupled to that
of Perl.