[BioSQL-l] database extensions

Angel Pizarro angel at mail.med.upenn.edu
Mon Aug 7 13:45:16 UTC 2006

Hilmar Lapp wrote:
> Hi Angel, sorry for the belated response, I was at BOSC. See my
> comments below.

Yes, I missed my chance to go this year. Maybe next!
> On Aug 3, 2006, at 2:28 PM, Angel Pizarro wrote:
>>
>> Second, are primary keys up for discussion any time soon? I realize that
>> a lot of external projects rely on this schema, so it has to remain
>> stable, but the inconsistent use of UID, compound keys or even lack of a
>> key really put a hindrance on the use of off-the-shelf ORMs.
>
> Can you elaborate? Meanwhile most tables do have a surrogate key. Only
> those that serve as association tables and aren't referenced
> themselves (and only very few association tables are referenced by
> foreign key) do not (they still have a unique key constraint though).
>
> Just to make sure - you're looking at the CVS check-out version, not
> at 0.1 or something?

I am looking at the CVS 1.0 schema.

By "inconsistent" I mean that certain tables have a single PK, others
have multiple and yet others have none. Alternate keys are not the issue
here. Many of the simple off-the-shelf object relational mapping APIs,
particularly those tied to the web app suites, assume a single primary
key and that all persistent object have one. Personally as a database
guy I really don't see a problem with the data model, but it is making
my life a little more difficult than it needs to be in the app and
language binding space, particularly python.

Lastly, since I do want to make some schema proposals, guidelines on how
to encode the proposed data models would be nice, and make less work for
the reviewers.

My extra needs are:

Experimental results: There is no schema component for storing exp
results of high-throughput data like microarray and proteomics.

Experimental context: You can't divorce the experimental context from
the results of microarray, proteomics and other high-throughput
experimental  technologies.

Pathway and networks: Hilmar has provided a start in the previous reply,
but may need extension to kinetic information. I probably won't get to
this, but I do notice that it is missing.

-angel