[BioSQL-l] Exploring data in database

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Thu Mar 27 10:39:13 EST 2003

On Thursday, March 27, 2003, at 01:58  AM, Kris Boulez wrote:

> From different sides I here good stuff about PostgreSQL. I've been
> using
> MySQL for years, just because it was there and did the job.
> Is there some documentation that describes the differences between
> MySQL
> and PostgreSQL ? I found multiple manuals on the web site, but I would
> rarther not have to wade through all these pages to find the
> syntax/concepts that make PostgreSQL special.

There is few pieces in SQL syntax that are special to Postgres; there
is much more in MySQL's implementation that is non-standard SQL. I
don't know whether there is a direct comparison or 'migration' guide.
Generally speaking, PostgreSQL has all the features that you expect
from a modern RDBMS like, but not limited to,

	-transactions and transaction isolation
	-enforced integrity constraints
	-subselects, and subselects used as tables
	-triggers
	-stored functions and procedures

One of the notable differences when you start with simple tables is
that there is no auto_increment. Instead you use the mechanism you find
in I think all modern RDBMSs, namely sequences. You define a sequence,
which is basically a transaction-safe primary key generator, and
default the primary key column to the next available number from that
sequence. There is even a PostgreSQL-specific shortcut SERIAL which
essentially translates into the aforementioned steps.

PostgreSQL offers a bunch of things on top of its SQL92 implementation,
like user-defined types, geometric types, inheritance, function
indexes, etc. These come in handy sometimes.

I guess you don't really want to skip reading a PostgreSQL manual
altogether. There is one on-line at www.postgresql.org, which is very
useful (at least it has been to me). You don't  need to read the
section on what a SELECT statement is (although you should acquaint
yourself with subselects, if you have never taken advantage of that).

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org