[BioSQL-l] towards schema freeze

Hilmar Lapp hlapp at gnf.org
Thu Mar 20 10:42:09 EST 2003

On Thursday, March 20, 2003, at 05:06  AM, Yves Bastide wrote:

> Hilmar Lapp wrote:
>> I encourage people looking at the present schema definition to see
>> whether there's anything that makes you feel uneasy or unsure.
>
> Quick random remarks:
>
> * term.is_obsolete should have a default, and be BOOLEAN in Postgresql

Do you have an overview of how the support of BOOLEAN is in JDBC
driver(s), DBI driver, and possibly Python and Ruby drivers?

I know for a fact that BOOLEAN used to be unsupported by the Oracle
JDBC driver for a long time, I haven't checked lately though whether
this continues to be true. We can have different types in different
RDBMSs if we want to; what would you be able to do with type BOOLEAN
that you couldn't do with type CHAR(1) (which is almost guaranteed to
be universally supported)?

> * biosequence.molecule is missing (was in the bioperl-release-1-1-0
> branch, but not on the main one).

This became column alphabet. The molecule attribute of Seq::RichSeqI
should be in the annotation bundle.

Hilmar Lapp                            email: lapp at gnf.org