[BioSQL-l] ontology for transitive closure table

Matthew Pocock matthew_pocock at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 19 11:14:17 EST 2003

Use case: I want to be able to use the transitive closure table to cache
transitive closures, but don't necisarily want to pre-compute them all
at database-load/edit time. The closures say that we can get from term A
to term B following relationships of type R by using arcs defined in
namespaces {X,Y,Z}, which makes the table a 4-tuple. That way, if the
client looks up transitive closure A,B,R,{I,J} then we know that the
info isn't in the table, so it needs computing, and possibly caching.

Thomas - are you watching this thread? Any view?

--
BioJava Consulting LTD - Support and training for BioJava
http://www.biojava.co.uk