[BioSQL-l] more consistency

Aaron J Mackey ajm6q at virginia.edu
Tue Mar 11 21:28:43 EST 2003

> Both are OK with me. These are all legacy names.

Great; then the proposal is to a) search and replace ontology_term with
term (which also brings term_id into sync with seqfeature's source_term_id
and type_term_id) and b) change ontology_dbxref to term_dbxref

> Note, however, that a term should live in an ontology for the sake of a
> consistent unique key. If it's not a NOT NULL column already, I suggest
> to make the foreign key from Ontology_Term to Ontology mandatory.

Ahh yes, I see: the ontology_term table name turning into simply "term";
hmm, not so sure about that.  I was thinking more of all the
"ontology_term_id" foreign keys sprinkled about.  But to be a true bugbear
about consistency, I think I'd have to alter my proposal to the much more
verbose: a) change ontology_dbxref to ontology_term_dbxref and b) change
seqfeature's source_term_id to source_ontology_term_id (and
type_ontology_term_id)

But the ontology/term nomenclature isn't so bad if you consider it a
mirror of biodatabase/bioentry (i.e. it's not
biodatabase/biodatabase_bioentry).  So there you have it, two opposing
arguments for two distinct proposals.  Discuss.

-Aaron