[BioRuby] We need a GSoC admin for this year

Yannick Wurm y.wurm at qmul.ac.uk
Tue Jan 26 13:29:52 UTC 2016

> On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl> wrote:
>> Hi everyone interested in Ruby,
>>
>> We *need* an org admin and mentors this year for SciRuby. It is clear
>> we are getting students. Former students can be mentors. Former
>> mentors can become admins (with the suport of former admins).
>>
>> None of this is hard and it can be very rewarding to mentor good
>> students (I know from long experience). Also you may get to go to the
>> mentor summit (Google pays).
>>
>> Who will join as a mentor? Who can be an org admin?
>>
>> How is the OBF situation for BioRuby?
>>
>> Pj.
>
> We have GSoC admins lined up for the OBF, expect a public
> announcement shortly - BioRuby projects would of course
> be welcome under the OBF GSoC (should we be accepted
> this year).
>
> Peter

Just a message to confirm that GSoC is indeed an excellent opportunity for everyone involved.
As an example, our paper resulting from GSoC is now in press:

   GeneValidator: identify problems with protein-coding gene predictions
   Monica-Andreea Drăgan, Ismail Moghul, Anurag Priyam, Claudio Bustos and Yannick Wurm
   Bioinformatics doi: 10.1093/bioinformatics/btw015
   http://bit.ly/genevalidator

This includes two former biorubyrelevant GSoC students:  Monica-Andreea Drăgan & Anurag Priyam.

All the best,

Yannick

https://wurmlab.github.io    y.wurm at qmul.ac.uk    Ants, Bees, Genomes & Evolution
skype:yannickwurm +44 207 882 3049
5.21 Fogg, Organismal Biology, Queen Mary U London, Mile End Rd, E14NS London, UK

SequenceServer: BLAST made easy          http://bit.ly/seqserv
GeneValidator: Visualize protein quality http://bit.ly/genevalidator
Arthropod genomics beyond fruit flies    http://bit.ly/ecoevogenomics
Avoid retracting your genomics analysis  http://bit.ly/antiretract