[BioRuby] biogem upgrade and simplification?

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Mon Aug 17 06:19:30 UTC 2015

hi all,

Who is using biogem to generate the initial repository, Rakefile etc.
these days? For some time I have been simply copying other projects
and modifying those to create new gems.

Also, I am in favour of starting biogem2 fresh and doing away with
bundler and jeweler dependencies and simplify the tool to a bunch of
erb templates - faithfully mirroring a project structure. Does that
make sense?

The simpler the tool, the more likely it is that people help
fix/maintain it.

The initial idea of biogem was to go the other way - i.e., add
features - but truth is that gem (itself) can create a repository as
well as RoR.  No need to duplicate those efforts.

GNU Guix is maturing with gem support. Bundler and the like will be
optional tools. It is my firm opinion. I am working this way now.

What do you think?