[BioRuby] Ruby installation

Michael Barton mail at michaelbarton.me.uk
Fri May 2 18:32:59 UTC 2014

Docker is not really a VM. I think it is more a self-contained application
than can run on anyoperating system that supports it. At the moment that is
unfortunately on Linux and Mac OSX with boot2docker. I know that was not
the point you were making about using VMs though. I just write this to
highlight the difference. I agree that expecting someone to use a VM is
asking a lot.

I also agree with your point that expecting beginners to start using a VM
is a step learning curve. However I would argue that, very often, the
current state in bioinformatics is that we expect beginners to download
source code, compile it, then install half a dozen other dependencies too.
Usually after doing these steps, the software may not even work anyway.

The nice thing about something like Docker, is that if someone published
their code as a docker container then everyone would only need to learn how
to install docker containers. The underlying dependencies would be
completely masked.