[BioRuby] BGZF support, was Re: Biopython 1.60 plans and beyond

Artem Tarasov lomereiter at googlemail.com
Thu May 24 05:52:42 UTC 2012

Hi all,

it's a good point that many line-based formats need some sort of
compression with indexing, and BGZF is good enough in that sense.

So far, I think Artem's BGZF implementation is entirely in D; I may just
> add Ruby support for BGZF separately.

The only problem I see with that approach is that it's hardly possible to
get parallel compression with MRI. But overall I tend to agree with
Clayton. Firstly, it's hard to abstract away some common interface right
now, not writing any code and looking at it. Secondly, there're still
problems with D shared library support. We were assured by GDC developer
that they'll get solved soon, but at the moment the situation is far from
perfect.