[BioRuby] GSoC: Testing framework for biogem plugins

Jakub Naliwajek naliwajek at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 16:29:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

My name's Jakub. I'm a CS student and a back-end RoR developer from Poland.

I just wanted to check if my reasoning of whole process of adding a new bio
gem is right:

1. New bio gem is created by someone on GitHub;
2. Then gem is added by him to RubyGems;
3. Then gem is added (by him and *accepted* by OBF?) to BioGems;
4. Then all three services are automatically linked together by a framework;
5. Tests (all tests across gem and its dependencies) run for a first time
(initial release);
6. After that tests run only:
   *** when manually triggered (BioGems link action somewhere) OR;
   *** labeled on GitHub OR;
   *** new release (check if pushed to BioGems [or RubyGems if they have
such event handler]) is out;

7. (Eventually) with person responsible about restyle of bioruby.org we
decide how (if any) those results are going to look at main
bioruby.orgsite (not dev-only BioGems.info)

(For already existing gems let's say we begin from point 5 treating current
release as an initial one)

Of course, besides testing each gem with its dependencies individually, we
include option to test different BioGems together (different setups) and
display results at BioGems.info too.

Test results are displayed not only with "failed/passed" statement but also
with error log so developer can see straight from BioGems site what is
wrong, right?

Is it okay or did I forget something?

Also, I lack CoffeeScript knowledge but I guess it's not that hard to learn.

Cheers,
--
Jakub Naliwajek