[BioRuby] [GSoC] weekly report #8

Artem Tarasov lomereiter at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:26:35 UTC 2012

Hello all,

here's the link to the report:
http://lomereiter.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/gsoc-weekly-report-8/

last week I implemented producing BAI files, and my tool sambamba-index
exploits parallelism and thus is faster than samtools on multicore.

Now I'm working on sorting, basic version already works but memory
consumption should be improved. In fact, at least for HDDs, time of
indexing and sorting is bounded by I/O speed, not the number of CPUs. So
for sorting I need to tweak sizes of read/write buffers in order to get
maximum performance. By the end of this week, I'm also going to make an
utility for merging several sorted BAM files into one.