[BioRuby] What is the bar for releasing biogems?

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Thu Jan 19 08:23:36 UTC 2012

Hi Ben,

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 05:58:01PM +1000, Ben Woodcroft wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was hoping for some advice from the list about policy on releasing
> biogems. I have a few (2 or 3) biogems on my computer which:
> * Solve a discrete problem (in my case, wrapping around an underlying
> bioiformatic program and parsing the result)
> * At least a little bit unit tested
> * Are bioinformatics-related
>
> However, they are also:
> * Not fantastic leaps forward - they don't solve big problems
> * Probably limited to a small audience, since the programs themselves would
> be of little use outside the (not large) field (bioinformatics of protein
> sub-cellular localisation in apicomplexan parasites).
>
> I find having a biogem is a convenient mechanism. But I don't want to
> release code that is of no use to anyone else (or any more of it..),
> particularly as I cannot know whether I'll continue to use the code once my
> PhD is done. Should I release the gems?

Yes. Please post them,

Do not worry about interest, take up, or quality. That is up to the
people who ultimately take an interest in your gems. If there are
issues they may approach you, or become maintainers themselves.

With the growth of number of gems we will find ways to handle
presentation and quality issues. First on our list is an automated
testing frame work - which will show on the site the gems that pass
their tests.  Next we will create a subsection for 'development'
and/or 'unstable' gems. That way normal users can feel safe in using
the tested and stable gems. The meta packages (bio-core etc) already
have an implicit policy it that way. Anyone should be able to install
bio-core gems.

In other words, don't worry. Release early and often. That is the OSS
adagio, that is what http://biogems.info/ is about.