[BioRuby] BioRuby.org website

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 29 10:12:51 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 9:02 AM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl> wrote:
> Feature: BioRuby.org main page direct answer section
>
>  The BioRuby project main page is the entry page for new comers to
>  the project. Visitors who are not (yet) on IRC or the mailing list,
>  should be encouraged to post questions and receive immediate
>  answers. One way to achieve this would be a Jabber connection to a
>  'room' where BioRuby members connect. Similar to IRC, but available
>  directly from the main page. This chat will not be logged, so
>  spammers will have no benefit.
>
>  Scenario: BioRuby.org newbie visitor with a question
>    Given I visit the main BioRuby.org page and someone is online
>    When I click the button for contacting BioRuby
>    And someone is online
>    Then I should be able to post a question
>    And get an answer

Could you embed an IRC client into the browser page?

>  Scenario: BioRuby.org newbie visitor with a question (2)
>    Given I visit the main BioRuby.org page and no one is online
>    When I click the button for contacting BioRuby
>    And no one is online
>    Then I should be able to post a question with an E-mail address
>    And get an answer over E-mail

You don't think giving them instructions on how to join the mailing
list is good enough? How would you implement that email form
idea - keeping in mind the newcomer would reasonably expect
their query to be 'private' and not be sent to the public mailing
list on their behalf?

Peter