[BioRuby] Developing a VISION

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Sat Feb 25 09:35:31 UTC 2012

On Saturday, February 25, 2012, Raoul Bonnal wrote:

> +1
>

> On 25/02/12 09.42, "Pjotr Prins" <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl <javascript:;>>
> wrote:
>
> > ## Vision statement: BioRuby is agile
> >
> > The Ruby community is always working on agile processes. BioRuby can
> > benefit from behaviour driven development (BDD), specifications,
> > doctests and integration and unit testing.
> >
> > Realisation:
> >
> > In addition to unit testing we should concentrate on introducing
> > Rspec, Cucumber, rubydoctests across the board. Also we should use the
> > continuous integration testing by services such as travis-ci (I have a
> > writeup on the latter soon) and perhaps use the OBF test services for
> > stable plugins.

Without an extensive testing process like this, I struggle to see
how a dynamic range of plugins from different authors can keep
interoperability - so this sounds good. As we've discussed, the
buildbot system as we're using it on the OBF testing service is
more suited to testing one code base under a single repository.

So another +1 for looking at automated testing of all the biogem
packages. It will be a lot of work though... But should pay off :)

Peter