[BioRuby] Restyling BioRuby.org

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 23 08:40:14 UTC 2012

Hi George,

On 23 Feb 2012, at 05:41, George Githinji <georgkam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some considerations:
> 1. Who hosts the Bioruby.org site
> This is important so as to access the nature and the ease of
> deployment. Also should bioruby.org be hosted on a cloud
> infrastructure like heroku? What are the pros and cons?

Currently most Bio* project homepages are hosted on
an OBF server - see www.open-bio.org - with donated
bandwidth.

I understand that the BioRuby homepage is hosted on
Github (see earlier in this thread).

Some OBF machines are in the cloud, specifically
the buildbot server runs on an Amazon instance.

> 2. Who owns the bioruby.org domain name? aka who pays and registers
> this domain every year and why?
> Is this person willing to surrender the domain ownership to the
> community? Would he perform the registration on behalf of the
> community ?

Currently the OBF (at least, they do for most of the Bio*
projects) which is on behalf of the community. I assume
the same applies to the BioRuby.org domain.

> 3. For a while now, bioruby.org redirects to
> http://bioruby.open-bio.org/. Which of the two is the  more
> appropriate 'home' url?

Why exactly that happens I don't know, it doesn't
happen for BioPerl.org or Biopython.org for instance.
It could be linked to the GitHub hosting and domain
records - it can probably be tweaked.

Peter
(Biopython, also OBF board member)