[BioRuby] Beautiful code for Bioinformatics

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Fri Feb 17 17:26:32 UTC 2012

I think understanding concepts in classic and modern programming languages, and their advantages and disadvantages, is considerably more important than the language itself.  VM's like JVM, Mono, Parrot, etc allow one to cross over from one language to another (sometimes within the same module space), so the adage about which lang is best seems very trite now.

Anyway, anytime I see someone pipe up (on SO, reddit, etc) with a big trolly 'lang A is better than lang B' thread, I invariably find the most interesting responses are from those who can clearly point out the advantages and disadvantages of both languages.  Inevitably the conclusion is every language has its flaws, the choice is very much based on one's opinions, and that concepts and specifications are way more important to know than specific implementations of them (and knowledge of such allows one to migrate more effortlessly between languages).

(my rant for the day, sorry, need coffee)

chris