[BioRuby] Bio::Faster update version 0.4.4

Francesco Strozzi francesco.strozzi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 14:40:37 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I have updated the Bio::Faster gem for BioRuby. This gem allows for a
fast parsing of FastQ files and it's based on a C extension.
Many updates were done since the last version. The gem has been
completely rewritten, both the C extension and the Ruby code. The C
extension is now called through FFI, so this new gem works fine also
with alternative Ruby interpreter, like JRuby.
In particular, this new version can handle correctly the formatting
errors that may be present in FastQ files, something that was not
possible with the previous version due to the external C library used
at the time.
The RSpecs to build this new version were defined using the test files
available from the official FastQ format paper
(http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/content/38/6/1767.abstract).

The code is available here: https://github.com/fstrozzi/bioruby-faster
The new version of the gem is available on RubyGems: gem install bio-faster

If you have the chance, please check this new version at let me know
of any bugs or problems you may find.

Please note that since version 0.4.0 bio-faster does not support
parsing FastA files anymore. The code is now only focused on FastQ
format.

Cheers

--

Francesco