[BioRuby] Nightly build testing, was: Broken link on wiki installation page

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 22 12:03:11 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> It is for reason of limited installs we have meta-packages.
> Meta-packages provide a sense of stability, and is what most users
> will install.
>
> I suggest testing for:
>
>  - bio
>  - bio-core, which contains core pure ruby biogems
>  - bio-core-ext, which contains non-pure ruby biogems
>    (extensions)
>
> anything worth testing will be in there. We can help create the test
> scripts for those packages.

What I am trying to understand is do all those bits live in many
different repositories, or is there one super repository? And if
there isn't a single repository, can we create a meta-repository
(e.g. using git submodules).

> Also, it looks like the testing environment should be hosted in a
> ready made VM image. I can create a CloudBioLinux flavour for that.
> Once we know what to install. I will also want tests for biolib_hpc,
> when that gets production ready (btw). It is a long standing wish on
> my end to get this sorted.

Perhaps I have misunderstood you, but if all the build slaves
run the tests via the same VM image, there is no diversity.
For Biopython we deliberately want inhomogeneous setups
for our buildslaves to try and cover the variety of potential
setups our end users will have.

Peter