[BioRuby] Bio::Sequence and Bio::Sequence::NA

Anthony Underwood email2ants at gmail.com
Mon May 16 09:07:47 UTC 2011

Here's something that has alway puzzled me about BioRuby

If I start with a Bio::EMBL object and want to extract the features I can do the following

biosequence = embl_object.to_biosequence

This returns an instance of a Bio::Sequence class. I can now access the features

features = biosequence.features

However if the sequence is nucleotide and I want to translate it I have to do the following

biosequence.na

OR

biosequence = biosequence.auto

This returns a Bio::Sequence::NA instance and I can now translate

protein = biosequence.translate(1,11)

Why can I not now get at the features

biosequence.features #=> undefined method `features' for #<Bio::Sequence::NA:0x00000100cae5f8>

I would have though that after converting to Bio::Sequence::NA or Bio::Sequence:AA the methods available to Bio::Sequence should still be available.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here. Is there another method I should use?

Thanks

Anthony