[BioRuby] Please forward: collecting support for Japanese scientists

Rutger Vos rutgeraldo at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 14:16:25 UTC 2011

Dear colleagues,

A web page has been launched to collect support for Japanese
(bio-)scientists: http://biohelpathon.org - please forward this
address widely.

The purpose of the web page is to establish a knowledge base of
available support for our colleagues in Japan. You are invited to
submit any tips, ideas and offers including accommodation, funding
resources, exchange schemes, lab space, server space and open
positions for visiting students and research personnel from Japan.

We will collect your suggestions and offers and will share them with
whoever is best placed to disseminate them. This initiative originates
with the attendees of the BioHackathons (the Japanese website
http://hackathon.dbcls.jp is offline due to the earthquake), but
anyone is very welcome to contribute. To get in touch, join
http://groups.google.com/group/biohelpathon.

This initiative is no alternative to first responders who are helping
out in Japan right now. The rescue operation and food and shelter
support comes first. If you can only do one thing, it should be a
donation to something like the Red Cross. This comes later.

See also:
A different initiative, with which we're in touch:
http://www.nipponsciencesupport.net/
More info on Nature blogs:
http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/2011/03/helping_hand_for_scientistrefu.html

PLEASE NOTE: WE ARE NOT HANDLING MONEY. This is simply a way to
crowdsource information about available resources.

Thank you.

Rutger Vos