[BioRuby] tutorial

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 3 19:51:09 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 7:12 PM, Pjotr Prins <pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl> wrote:
> Thanks Peter and Chris. I am glad we can learn from your experience.
>
> Toshiaki had a very cool idea today (on IRC). The implications
> carry beyond BioRuby gems.
>
> My wish is to see whether BioRuby and plugins are running well on
> different Ruby implementations, and operating systems.
>
> The reality is that developers won't test every possibility.
>
> On the other hand, users do ;)
>
> Also, for every plugin and BioRuby we create tests.
>
> Users can run those tests.
>
> So, what we need is a tool to report test results to some central DB
> This would be interesting to rubygems in general. Debian uses
> something similar for packages. What do you think? I don't think
> BioPerl or BioPython has that, correct?
>
> Pj.

No, but Biopython is now using Buildbot on http://testing.open-bio.org
with a small number of buildslaves belonging to Biopython developers
running nightly unit tests on our latest code in github.

This is a very recent setup (having been prototyped on another OBF
machine late last year), and in theory other build systems could be
used too. I think BioPerl is interested in using smoke server.

Having end users submit tests would be useful too...

Peter