[BioRuby] tutorial

Pjotr Prins pjotr.public14 at thebird.nl
Thu Mar 3 18:09:08 UTC 2011

Not much to add to Chris. The main problem we have now is docs in
multiple places, and out of sync. Be good to get a coherent whole.

Wiki's tend to be more inviting, with a vibrant user community. But,
for BioRuby the Tutorial has been a wiki for years, with no edits,
that appears to not to work. Also I find Wiki's in general are rarely
maintained.

I agree with Chris docs should really be versioned against the
versioned classes, methods etc. Ideally we should also show
dependencies and whether they work for Ruby1.8/1.9, JRuby, Rubinius.

For several reasons I personally prefer generated docs. Maybe we
should think of generating the docs from Doctest files + RDoc +
Examples - and (cross)-index them nicely. Generation would help for
plugins too.

I know it is more work, and not very grateful, but if someone would
volunteer it would really pay off in the longer term. Note that
rubygems.org supports rdoc too - so we can host versioned docs there.