[BioRuby] samtools-ruby

Tomoaki NISHIYAMA tomoakin at kenroku.kanazawa-u.ac.jp
Fri Feb 4 12:26:24 UTC 2011

Hi,

> What I have forgotten to do?

Now, you are at the point I reached yesterday and
I don't think you have forgotten anything.

 From yesterday's mail:
>   1) Failure:
> test: BioSamtools should probably rename this file and start
> testing for real. (TestBioSamtools) [test/test_bio-samtools.rb:5]:
> hey buddy, you should probably rename this file and start testing
> for real

> I'm not sure if this is bad or ok.

You could look at test/test_bio-samtools.rb
$ cat test/test_bio-samtools.rb
require 'helper'

class TestBioSamtools < Test::Unit::TestCase
   should "probably rename this file and start testing for real" do
     flunk "hey buddy, you should probably rename this file and start
testing for real"
   end
end

and guess what it means.

My guess is that this is test not implemented yet.
So, this error does not tell if the library function well or can not
used at all.
You might just try what you wanted to do and see if it works.

> I understand how difficult it is to keep track and it is a good
> idea to ship bioruby-samtools
> with a working samtools version like Raoul does it.

My view is the opposite.
Since it potentially has many bugs and changes rapidly, bundled
shipping is ineffective.
With the lack of test code, we cannot even tell which is a good
working version.
--
Tomoaki NISHIYAMA

Advanced Science Research Center,