[BioRuby] GSoC - project "Represent bio-objects and related information with images"

Michał Koziarski michalkoziarski at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 20:27:44 UTC 2011

2011/4/7 Raoul Bonnal <bonnal at ingm.org>

> On 07/apr/2011, at 19.39, Michał Koziarski wrote:
>
> 2011/4/6 Raoul Bonnal <bonnal at ingm.org>
>
>>  Hi Michal,
>> the time line is more detailed now.
>> As Francesco suggested and also reported on our page we suggest RubyVis
>> library, Claudio the coder of the binding offers his help and this is a very
>> good news for us.
>>
>> Week 9: what do you mean for browsing images in shell ? I can't grasp the
>> benefit now, but we can discuss. The main problem is how to control the
>> application which displays  the image; for web browsers there are techniques
>> but are not so easy.
>>
> I'm just thinking to an add-on for this week: if we have different types of
>> data that we can display quite easily on the web(done in the previous weeks)
>> , why not spending this time to enrich the images with controls (bars, check
>> boxes, interaction in general). This part requires a skill in javascript.
>> http://vis.stanford.edu/protovis/ex/cartogram-full.html
>> Or another interesting feature would be: adding layers of information to
>> the standard image.
>> Note: perhaps these ideas are a bit complicate for 1 week but it would be
>> interesting to evaluate the feasibility.
>>

> I thought about whether to implement that shell browser or work on images
> enrichment, and I am quite confused. Generally, I would agree that your idea
> seems to be better, but right now I can't come up with specific ways of
> enriching them. I guess it should be more obvious once images itself are
> created, but then there may be not enough time to implement everything.
>
> Those were just ideas and were not mandatory. I think, as you wrote, when
> the images will be ready and you'll be more familiar with bioinformatics
> problems, the enrichment will be more clear. What about the possibility to
> evaluate how to "fuse"/enrich and image with data coming from slightly
> different objects ? Like tagging data sets etc... (today american football
> training, I hope to find inspiration ^_^ )

Yeah, I realize that they were not mandatory, I just would like to make the
best of this time. Anyway, I guess I will just stick to the file browsing
idea for now, and later on reevaulate which one will be better at the time.

>> I forgot to mention, in some case I think that if there are web services
>> which produce images that services could be used. Consider the possibility
>> to display Venn diagrams Google has one service
>> http://code.google.com/intl/it-IT/apis/chart/docs/gallery/venn_charts.htmlor another one is
>> http://bioinfogp.cnb.csic.es/tools/venny/index.html.
>> Sets are a kind of data type that in my daily work I have to display with
>> a high frequency, specially when the boss needs to make reports :-)
>>
>> So we arrived to the which bioruby objects we want to display. This is a
>> quite complex question because some are there and other are not.
>> This library as been always sequence/feature centric (please correct me if
>> I'm wrong), because we were used to demand to R tasks more statistics.
>> Main areas are
>> * NGS: display create coverage alignemnt for a region with the possible
>> annotation that are accessible from bioruby
>> * Matrix: display heatmaps, scatter plots, bars ( I wrote a very alpha lib
>> for handling real time PCR  and gene expression datasets -not images-)
>>

> Is that lib public now? And if so, could you provide me with repo url?
>
> Did you mean  R?
> http://www.bioconductor.org/developers/package-guidelines/
> this library is voted to bioinformatics + statistic
> note that Claudio Bustos (RubyVis) has coded another great library for R
> http://ruby-statsample.rubyforge.org/rserve-client/
> and this is for statistics http://ruby-statsample.rubyforge.org/
>
> Sorry, I wasn't very specific. I ment your lib for handling real time PCR.

>> * Sets: a seq could be generated from any kind of analysis, enrichment,
>> annotation, reports
>>  ** reports could be meta-objects for instance the results of an
>> allignment or mapping or gene quantification when you need to compare
>> multiple populations or technical replicates
>> * Phylo (i'm not an expert)
>>

> That seems to be the most complicated one of those to visualize (or am I
> wrong?), it would be great to hear some specifics.
>
> If you mean phylo, I think Christian is an expert .

Yes, I ment Phylo.

> Out of those, I think that Matrix would be a good place to start. They
> could be generated only with Rubyvis, and as I believe are used quite often.
> Would you agree?
>
> Yeah at low level I think that most of the problems could be reduced to
> matrices.
> Another great tool for visualizing data and I love it, coded in perl, is
> http://mkweb.bcgsc.ca/circos/  we could you is to find inspirations.
> and http://vizbi.org/2011/Posters/List/?poster=D10

Indeed, Circos looks really great. Have you used it? How about the
readibility?