[BioRuby] rails blast server

Frank Schwach fs5 at sanger.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 12:49:29 UTC 2010

What Trever describes is how I do it too. If this is all you want then a
Rails app is a bit overkill because this is a very simple cgi script
that doesn't even connect to a database.
Basically, you just need some validation of input and then issue a
system command (blsatall ....).
As Trever pointed out, for larger databses this may be impractical
because there will be no feedback until the search has completed and if
your site is popular then many BLAST searches on a single server may
quickly become a problem. Two possible solutions:
1) automatically send the results by email and just display a page
showing that the search has been submitted. I use Perl for sending such
messages but it should be just as easy in Ruby
2) use a job queueing system and run jobs in the background. The
simplest solution is to use the Linux "batch" queue
(http://linux.about.com/library/cmd/blcmdl1_batch.htm).
You can just submit jobs to the queue and they are only run when system
resources are available. Ensure that the results are written into a file
with a unique job ID in the file name and display a results page with
some AJAX which keeps querying for the BLAST result file (by its ID) and
inserts it into the page as soon as it is available.

Hope this helps.

Frank